Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2013

The 10 Books I Want to Read the Most Right Now

You all remember how big my to be read pile is I'm sure? No? Oh I'm sure you do...anyway, I thought tonight I would share the 10 books from that pile that I am the most excited about reading. So without further ado, the list:

1. Deck Z: The Titanic: Unsinkable. Undead by Chris Pauls & Matt Solomon

Why I'm excited to read it: I'm absolutely fascinated by the concept of taking historical events and adding a taste of the Supernatural, the Titanic disaster is something we all know a lot about so I'm really interested to see how they've incorporated the zombies.

Why I haven't read it yet:I won my autographed copy through GoodReads at a very inopportune tune; I've been insanely busy. I've read books still and I keep wanting to pick this one up but I want to be able to really focus on it.

2. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Why I'm excited to read it: I've heard nothing but good things about it! Everyone I know who has read it loved it and told me I would too so I am eager to sink my teeth into it.

Why I haven't read it yet:I was convinced it was going to be the first book in a series and I REALLY didn't want to start ANOTHER series only to be waiting months and months for the next book and then not reading it because it's been sooooo long since I read the first and I don't have time for a re-read. But then the author confirmed that this book is most definitely a stand-alone so now I really want to get to it!

3. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

Why I'm excited to read it: It's the conclusion of the Inheritance cycle. That right there should say everything. I need closure, I need to know what happens to all the characters and the world. But most importantly I need to know if my theory about the final Rider is true!

Why I haven't read it yet: This book suffers from that problem I mentioned just above; it's been SO LONG since I read any of the previous books that I just can't motivate myself to re-read them so that I can read this. But I want to read it so bad so I may cave soon and re-read the first three.

4. Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

Why I'm excited to read it: I read the first book in the series after about six months of waffling. Once I read it I was hooked, it was so good, I was so excited for the next one. She left it with a good cliffhanger that left me hungering for more.

Why I haven't read it yet: And then I had to wait, and wait, and wait for book two. And it finally came out, and I bought it right away! And it's been sitting on the pile ever since for the same reason as Inheritance.

5. Serpent's Kiss by Melissa de la Cruz

Why I'm excited to read it: Are you sensing a theme here? This one is yet another continuation of a wonderful series. I reviewed the first book in this series back in January. I'm definitely eager to see what's happening to all the characters in this world.

Why I haven't read it yet: It's part of a pattern I have. I'm excited about the sequel so I buy it the day it comes out and then I can't be bothered re-reading the first book so it just sits...



6. Tiger's Voyage, Tiger's Destiny, and Tiger's Dream by Colleen Houck

Why I'm excited to read them: Because I loved the first two books in the series and I must finish it!

Why I haven't read it yet: This time it's gotten so bad I'm three books behind! I need to break this pattern! This is my curse apparently! Must be something about folks named Ren and curses...

7. The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

Why I'm excited to read it: I'm a big Rick Riordan fan. I think he's an amazing writer and I just adore what he can do with mythology. I think I've read everything in mythological series except for this book at the moment. Also: OWL on the cover, I love owls.

Why I haven't read it yet: I received this for Christmas and honestly it just got plopped in the pile and I kind of forgot it was there oops. And then I remembered and figured I probably need to re-read Lost Hero and Son of Neptune first. 


8. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith

Why I'm excited to read it: Similarly to Midnight Circus I've heard mostly amazing things about this novel. And as with Deck Z it melds historical fiction with paranormal fantasy both of which I love. Plus I've always been fascinated by Lincoln AND vampires independent of one another so I imagine mixing them will be good. Especially if the movie is any indication because I quite enjoyed the movie.

Why I haven't read it yet: I will be completely honest; there have been more books that have been more compelling to me, but I do really want to get to this one, soon. 

9. Prodigy by Marie Lu

Why I'm excited to read it: If you've been following this blog you've likely surmised my love of dystopian fiction, and given that I wrote a review on the book this one follows (Legend) it's logical that this one would be here. It only recently came out and I really want to read it.

Why I haven't read it yet: I am actually hoping to start this one this weekend; I broke out of my pattern! I figured I was a book ahead in my book challenge count I had time for a fast re-read so I've been skim reading Legend before bed every night this week so that I can start Prodigy ASAP and hopefully still not lose my lead on my challenge counter.

10. The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

Why I'm excited to read it: Anyone who knows me knows I am a huge Potterphile, and a really big fan of J.K. Rowling's writing ability. Since the minute this book was announced I have been waiting for it. I bought it the day it came out. I look at it frequently. It's actually THE book I am MOST excited to read so...

Why I haven't read it yet: Because I am nervous and scared. As a fan of J.K. Rowling and a Potterphile I fear reading this book. I've built it up so much in my head that I'm going to love it and it's going to be amazing so I'm terrified of reading it because what if it's not? Is it allowed to not like a single book by an author you otherwise adore? I need reassurance that just in case I don't like this book it doesn't make me less of a fan. I don't want to psych myself out but I am! I just want to read and enjoy this book!

What books are on your to read list that you're most excited for?

-- Ren

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to burst your bubble, but Night Circus was kind of lame. I'm not sure why people give it 5 stars. Seems pretty 50/50 on people loving it or having a meh or worse reaction from what I've seen. Once I found out it was a NANO project, that really explained all the problems I had with it.

    I still need to read Son of Neptune and Mark of Athena, Casual Vacancy and Serpent's Kiss. And Dreamless

    ReplyDelete